Anytime my mom begins to adapt my style trends, I know its time to retire them. Most notably the accent nail, the ombre and hunter boots. Don’t get me wrong, my mom is extremely cool. In recent weeks, I feel like it may be time to retire Faceboook.
Customarily, when my iPhone buzzes with the notification of a Facebook like I am always excited to click through. That quickly turns to disappointment 75 percent of the time, when it turns out to be my mom. The other 25 percent of the likes and commentary come from the mothers of friends (special thanks to my social media fans Roz, Sue, Beverly and Meryl). With the advent of social media for the over 60 crowd,I don’t even know why I check it anymore. I am starting to get thoroughly bored with Facebook.
It’s no wonder I have taken to living my life on whatsapp and instragram. These little treasures allow me to fulfill my social media addiction without worrying about the over 60 Facebook demographic “de-cooling” my Facebook page.
This past week I was at an event with 35 of Canada’s top CEOs and when Jordan Banks, the CEO of Facebook Canada kept excusing himself to answer the phone (we learned hours later due to the 16 billion dollar purchase of Whatsapp) that Facebook all too well knows that the social media landscape and user-ship is changing.
According to staticbrain.com 48 percent of Facebook users are between the ages of 18- 34 (which I know is true) but given the recent trends in my personal network, I feel like everyone’s moms, grandparents and aunts have taken their social media usage to another level.
I am not an ageist- I am a lover of all people especially proud of my mom for being an early adapter of Facebook (who has been on since 2007, which I was reminded of thanks to the Facebook “LOOK BACK” feature which she eagerly posted and shared and liked). I just need to ensure that her recent inquiry into my instagram activities doesn’t translate into her dominating this account with per public love of me.
I love you mom- remember when you would send me letters in the mail..I miss mail.